Sunday, November 16, 2014

Update 3 and show!

After printing for about eight or nine weeks, I finally have some room to breathe and write another update. I have to say, so far it hasn't been as stressful as I thought it would be. I got everything I had to get done with time to spare. The show reception is in 4 days!





Starting to letter-space the small caps



 The biggest disaster (I was waiting for this one) was that all the sheets of handmade paper stretched and dried at different rates after dampening. I trimmed them all individually by hand with help from the wonderful Julie Leonard, who is on my committee. Disaster averted? Kind of. Each sheet needed to be placed differently on the feed board in order to register the next press run in the right place. I made a sort of jig to help with that. Luckily most of these sheets were translucent enough to see through.







 We got new windows in the graduate print room! The light comes in around 4 pm and hits the press bed in a yellow splash! Here is the last text run on the title page - for the pink ornament




 Cutting up the individual flaps for assembly



 Measuring for the hinge on the Deluxe edition




 Finished Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis




 Finished Magnolia Grandiflora

 


 Finished Nelumbo Nucifera





 Lotus pod mounted



 Magnolia aggregate fruit (left) and Hibiscus pod mounted





The show!



Vitrine with stop motion animation process work



Vitrine with the folded form, standard and deluxe editions of the book, and a few of the reduction blocks showing process





No comments:

Post a Comment