Saturday, February 21, 2015

IAPMA Conference in Fabriano, Italy (2014)

I meant to blog about this shortly after the conference, but just couldn't find the time. I attended the IAPMA conference in Italy last summer. It was simple amazing. The spaces were beautiful. The conference was held in the papermaking and watermark museum in Fabriano which was right next to a church, where the presentations were hosted. I delivered a presentation on watermark stop-motion animation and talked about a 4-second animation I was working on for my thesis. I also gave a demonstration on Islamic-style papermaking and talked about Mohammed Hussain Kagzi and all the beautiful paper they are making India. Read more about them here.



Apart from an extensive collection of watermarks (that were hard to photograph)
the museum also had a wooden stamper





They also had a functional papermaking set up that was used to make paper (just as in the Capellades mill) as well as for demonstrations



The entrance to the courtyard was decorated with this cut paper stencil that made the
light coming through beautifully dappled



 

All the windows in the museum overlooked the large courtyard.
This where the demonstrations took place 

I set up an angled vat that was deep enough to simulate the dug-out vats used by the Kagzi family. It was hard to the back! Samples of their paper as well as paper from my hemp fermentation experiments were available for people to peruse
The crowd was extremely interested in the process and in the family


Amy and Roberto helped me with couching and parting!




 The church where the presentation were delivered- from the pulpit no less!








No comments:

Post a Comment